Monday, April 23, 2012

Landy 'toons, how it started.

Series One



This is the very 1st LR cartoon of mine as far as I remember.

At time I was asked by certain LR magazine to provide a cartoon
about the Up Helly Aa event, a traditional festival that originated in the 1880s,
which involves fires, torchlight processions and vikings themes.
Since then the festival has been an annual occurrence in the Shetland calendar.

I thought of a Viking bloke going to the event in a tiny Series One.
Sadly the cartoon was never published but started me on drawing LR 'toons.
Official page: Up Helly Aa

This is my (usual) process:
  1. I begin with a sketch using blue ballpoint pen (Staedtler) on very lightweight paper (yellow Post-Its are used to cover mistakes too big for liquid white )
  2. pencil drawing on Schoellershammer 200 g/mq paper, inked with brush and Winsor & Newton ink
  3. digitally painted (eventually)

No comments:

Post a Comment